Tuesday 8 June 2021

Random character creation...

 Greetings fellow Oldhammerers!

Nothing painting wise to show at the moment I'm afraid (although I have painted some stuff, I just need to photograph the damn things), but recently I dug up the gang sheets from my old Necromunda campaign, and looking them over brought back some fun memories of games past.

The campaign I played just involved me and my brother so whilst we each had our own gang (Escher for me and Van Saar for him) we also included "NPC" gangs from each of the other Houses. Later I believe we added Ratskins and Skavies when we got Outlanders.

We played our own gangs against each other or one of the "NPC" gangs, or even fights between two "NPC" gangs. We mostly played with the card terrain from the box, and the NPC gangs were proxied using the plastic Goliath and Orlock gangers (unpainted I'm ashamed to say...).

Looking at the gang sheets now shows some questionable naming going on (the Delaque gang was the MIB's with several X-Files references for example...).

Thought I'd throw in a bit of art since I don't have anything else to show off

However I remember some fun developments over the campaign. My Escher gang was somewhat lacking in womanpower (due to being built around the 8 models in the gang boxset) and a recall one game where due to a poor deployment half of the girls were taken out by a single frag grenade!

Some of my fondest memories are how of some of gangers gained personalities purely from the luck of dice (and sometimes irrespective of their characteristics).

My brother's gang contained a ganger named March, who developed a reputation for never missing (it wasn't like my brother was overly lucking in his dice rolls, except when it came to March's to hit rolls anyway). He literally never missed a shot, and it was a good thing he was armed with a lasgun due to all the ammo rolls he had to make. No doubt this capability was why March appears to have accumulated the most experience of any ordinary ganger in the campaign...

The Delaques had a ganger named Crycek (that would be one of the X-Files references...) who also developed a reputation for never getting hit, no matter what was fired at him.

"It's spelt 'Krycek', with a K damn it..."

 Probably the defining moment of the campaign was when the Van Saars and Delaques faced off against each other. During the game the moment came when March took a shot at Crycek. The unstoppable force had met the immovable object! The impossible marksman versus the invisible man! Which would retain their reputation untarnished!

We both watched the roll with bated breath...

And... It was a hit!!! March's unbroken record remained intact! Crycek's was in tatters.

Reveling in his triumph my brother made the roll to wound... 

A natural 1. Crycek escaped unscathed (well apart from the, for him anyway, new experience of being pinned I suppose)...

It was moments like that made Necromunda the game it was for me. Unfortunately the campaign never really reached a conclusion eventually being abandoned as other parts of life got in the way.

But I can still recall that epic moment, and how those names written on a piece of paper and the little plastic men they were assigned to came to life through the whims of those tiny cubes of fate.

Till next time.

Cap'n Smyrk

No comments:

Post a Comment